Buffalo Bayou is looking for a Director of Brewery Operations to manage all aspects of the Production Department, including Brewing Operations, Packaging Operations, Production Scheduling, incoming ingredients and materials, Utilities, Maintenance, and Projects. The position will oversee production schedules and ensure implementation of all standard operating procedures to maintain consistency, quality, and efficiency throughout the production process. As an integral part of the management team, the Director of Brewery Operations will contribute to the ongoing growth, creativity, and strategic expansion of Buffalo Bayou.
We are looking for someone who can complement our long-term vision with his or her production skillset. The right candidate will be responsible for the daily oversight of a 30-barrel brewhouse, and all equipment and employees involved in the production and packaging of a variety of beer styles - in strict adherence to Buffalo Bayou’s process, quality and safety standards.
The right person will have the ability to maintain consistency, quality, and efficiencies throughout the production process, while fostering a positive teamwork environment. Thorough competency in all aspects of beer production including grain handling, yeast management, filtration, sanitation, packaging, QA/QC, and product innovation is required. Knowledge, creation, and constant evolution of all production standard operating procedures is necessary.
Houston’s Most Creative Brewery, Buffbrew has been a local pioneer for more than a decade, at the forefront of Creativity in Houston. Surpassing 14k bbls in 2021, Buffbrew has maintained steady, continuous growth in its 10 years of operations, now ranking as the 2nd largest independent Craft brewer in Houston, and a top 10 independent Craft Brewer by volume in Texas. Combining traditional brewing concepts with a forward-thinking approach driven by flavor theory, Buffbrew challenges every assumption, drawing inspiration from the pioneering history of Texas and the adventurous spirit of a culinary city. Buffbrew is only available in Texas. For additional information about Buffalo Bayou Brewery Co., visit buffbrew.com
The Director of Brewery Operations reports to Buffalo’s CEO and leads all process and production functions related to brewing, cellaring, packaging, operational maintenance, and quality assurance. Responsibilities include managing and directing daily activities, oversight of sourcing for all brewing materials (including chemicals and sanitation), ensuring accuracy and completion of all ERP system entries, constantly seeking innovations in the development process, and continually improving methods to positively affect quality, consistency and efficiency. The Director of Brewery Operations will also collaborate with management, sales, and marketing teams on quarterly strategic, innovation and branding initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate staffing requirements, determine skills set and experience required for each role to keep the department fully staffed and trained.
- Manage an aggressive training program that not only provides opportunities for the team and supports professional growth and development, but also maximizes flexibility with scheduling and skillsets.
- Develop methods to educate the team on our beers, quality management and problem solving.
- Develop a comprehensive training program for all new and established operations staff members that ensures proper execution of all SOPs, and is in line with company objectives and personal growth policies.
- Serve as a resource and be available for Team Members at all levels. Encourage Process Improvement Initiatives and input from all levels.
- Conduct periodic performance reviews with members of the operations team.
- Evaluate wort and beer quality on a daily basis, with regard to analytical results, process consistency, and taste. Implement changes to improve processes, recipes, beer flavor and consistency. Evaluate new ingredients and processes.
- Ensure that core beers match the established flavor targets and develop corrective action when undesired flavor trends are noted.
- Ensure all standard operating procedures are up to date (with QC team) and monitor adherence by all operations staff.
- Develop annual ingredient requirements and work with brewing department, procurement, and vendors to secure highest quality, competitively priced ingredients based on brewing projections.
- Ensure standard, consistent and sound brewing procedures and practices are used for all Production Department tasks.
- Oversee inventory system (using CRAFTED ERP Software) and supervise accurate, monthly assessments of all brewery items including production supplies and brewery products.
- Manage the brew plan and packaging plan to ensure brewing and packaging scheduling and production fulfill company requirements. Ensure beer supply is sufficient, quality is high, and that appropriate inventory levels are maintained.
- Ensure a safe work environment and a culture that embraces safe work habits, understanding of the risks, compliance with regulations, and prioritizing corrective action of any identified safety hazards or risks.
- Monitor, evaluate, and continuously improve brewing operations to balance quality, efficiency, cost savings, and profitability.
- Ensure that all equipment and operating systems are of sufficient capacity, reliable, and contribute positively to the quality of our beer.
- Ensure that Production Areas are clean and organized at all times.
- Ensure Team Members have the tools, knowledge, and equipment required to do their jobs.
- With input from Senior Leadership, develop performance and productivity metrics for all production areas and hold operations staff accountable for achieving these goals.
- Exceed customer expectations when delivering services, products, and information to other departments and external customers.
- Work with Brewing and Engineering/Maintenance to develop long term capital plans, ROI projects and participate in project management and long term goal setting for the brewery.
- Drive R&D Initiatives as determined by Senior Leadership team from new recipe formulation to cost control measures.
- Develop alternatives for future organization structure to best manage as company grows.
- Provide leadership for innovation, creativity, and unique approaches to opportunities and issues.
- Seek out opportunities for new products, ingredients, brewing techniques, technical developments, and processes.
- Manage operational budgets for brewery.
- Foster an environment of Continuous Improvement with regard to Team Member performance, beer consistency and quality, production processes, and Departmental strategy and goals.
- Support local, national and international events (beer dinners, beer events, festivals, and sales visits) as required and requested to assist Sales Team and Regional Representatives.
- Be an ambassador for Buffalo Bayou in the craft brewing community by supporting Brewers Association, Master Brewers Association, and other professional organizations’ events and activities.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year College or university in a Brewery related science field such as Food Science, Fermentation Science, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering.
- Minimum 5 years related experience and demonstrated results implementing and managing brewing and preferably beer packaging operations and achieving elevated performance levels.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of craft brewing industry and experience in brewing craft beer.
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated experience and familiarity with CMMS, ERP, production and inventory management systems developing and driving change adoption of them into the standard operations.
- Experience using Reliability tools such as Pareto analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM), and Root Cause Analysis (RCA).
- Lean/6sigma certification or experience preferred.
- An effective and persuasive communicator with outstanding presence and presentation skills that constantly strives for simplicity and clarity.
- Strong leadership, team member, and staff/team development and motivation skills.
- Experience with brewery ERP systems preferred.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees, senior management and board of directors.
- Proficiency with office and project management tools including Microsoft Project, SharePoint, MS Office Suite, etc.
- Fluency in the English language required.